Landscape

Thursday 10 July 2014

Online Markbook

Online Markbook

I have been developing my markbook online. See a blank version here. I prefer an online markbook to a paper copy because it allows me to edit and move things around easily. I have a separate markbook for each class.


The markbook has been divided into 11 sections: Seating Plan, Information, SEND, Marking, Homework, Mymaths/Sam Learning, Assessment, Intervention, Medium Term Plan, Postcards and Parents Evening. I don't record a register on the markbook because the data is collected elsewhere. Data is also collected separately centrally on a department tracking sheet. Therefore, the purpose of this markbook is to allow me to stay on top of classes by providing me with information needed to teach and most importantly to make notes so I can monitor individuals and classes as a whole.

Most of the sections are self explanatory. This year, I have added an Intervention section. In this section, I record all interventions for each of my classes. Examples of these include behaviour incidents, contact with parents or other members of staff, any concerns or worries I have about individuals, positive news/rewards. The outcomes is crucial to this intervention page. Here I record what has happened since the intervention eg has an individual students behaviour/attitude/performance improved? I have found this to be extremely useful, because it allows me to look back and see how individuals have responded and hopefully improved. Every half-term, I also write a quick class report. This allows me to reflect on the progress of the class and individuals. 

For the marking and homework, I use a very simple colour scheme. Green for good, Red for bad. Over time this provides a quick visual of class and individual performance.

My online Markbook is created on Google Sheets. Sharing this with other members of my department or SLT is easy. Google Drive has substantially improved in recent years. It is very easy and intuitive to create and save files. The filing system is now clear and structured, allowing you to find files quickly. The big advantage of Google Drive is I can access it anywhere. Files can be viewed and edited on my phone and tablet, aswell as any computer. Plus, I can't lose it! 

Next year, I want to develop my recording of assessment and progress. I'm looking to move towards analogue data per topic and using various sources to record data (e.g. quizzes, diagnostic questions, end of term tests, homework).

My markbook is designed to be simple to use and easily adapted to individual needs. It is not the markbook to end all markbooks and is a work in progress. Feel free to use or adapt if you want. (Press File, Make a copy...)

No comments:

Post a Comment